My Heroes - Timothy Keller

 
Upon first moving to Europe, I set out to find the top people who were presenting the gospel successfully in a secular, post-christian context such as Europe. My neighbor was an American guy who had come to know Christ through a Church in New York City with a Pastor called Tim Keller. He started giving me access to all of Keller's sermons and my world was rocked. I now have hundreds of his sermons on my computer, all of his books (in Dutch) and my teaching and ministry bare the fingerprints of this master teacher. What makes him so good you may ask:
 
Tim Keller does not ever preach with a us vs. them style. His intelligent discourses cross the huge intellectual gulf that is often present between secular culture and Christian (sub) culture. His constant hammering on grace saving us, not religious moralism or secular autonomy, really cause us to re-evaluate why we do what we do. He is one of the best at teaching with confidence and assertively, while showing respect and understanding to the prevailing secular culture (often anti-Christian) of Manhattan (and Amsterdam).
 
His church (www.redeemer.com) runs over 6,000 people in Manhattan and has planted hundreds of churches in the United States and around the world. I want to be like Tim Keller. I want to engage the culture I live in with civility and respect while articulating the gospel of Jesus Christ in a way people can understand that he shows us the true way to freedom.
 
I can highly recommend all of his books such as: The Reason for God, The Prodigal God, King's Cross, Generous Justice, Meaning of Marriage, etc. You can download his sermons from his churches web site or listen to some great talks/interviews on You Tube. (Check out the Veritas form). Timothy Keller has been and continues to be an important role model for me. This is why I see him as one of my heroes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten more weeks...

T. L. Osborn - A Man Who Made God's Message His Own