My Biggest Hero - Femke, My Wife

Femke has revolutionized the course of my life. As a teenager I remember hearing horrible stories about Amsterdam and thinking, I will gladly go anywhere (Africa, South America, etc.), but I don't want to go there. Now that I have lived here seven years, I love it.

We met each other at an internship at Metro Ministries (www.metroministries.com) in New York City  working with inner-city children in 2001. It was the same time as the Twin Tower attack. I remember seeing her and thinking that she was pretty, but I was sure I would go live in a Spanish speaking country. To my amazement, the moment I though that, she started speaking Spanish to a Mexican girl standing by her. This was just the first of many surprises that led me to discover that she was the woman of my dreams.

After Metro, we had and year and a half long distance courtship with her in Amsterdam and myself in Oklahoma. When I visited her, I followed her around to the 4 to 5 children's clubs she did a week. She worked part time with mentally handicapped (why she can be married to me) and spent the rest of her time working with children. After getting married we went back to the US, where we prepared to live overseas. I did not expect it, but yes we were to come back to her (and now my) home, Amsterdam.

She is a wonderful wife, mother, partner, minister and has a heart the size of Texas. She can preach and minister as good or even better than me. I recall one Pastor early on saying, "What you said was good, but what she said really touched me." I could not have a better wife and mother for my kids and who I have become is because of her.

Comments

Anonymous said…
that is honouring your wife! An example for many men!

Popular posts from this blog

Ten more weeks...

T. L. Osborn - A Man Who Made God's Message His Own