Don't Stop Praying for Healing


 "Finally I had enough! I told the Lord that I was through praying for the sick. I would preach the Gospel so that people would “get saved,” but I just couldn’t take all of the embarrassing failures when I prayed for them and they did not get healed!" -Dean Helland


I just returned from the Ukraine where we saw more than 100+ healings in the last few days. In the last two months of ministry, I have seen more than 350+ healings ranging from backs, deaf ears, blind-eyes to arthritis and joint problems disappearing after prayer. The reality of healing ministry however is that there are heart-breaking moments when people are not healed and you may just want to not pray for healing any more.

Recently, my father, who modeled healing ministry for me, wrote me a letter reflecting on those difficult times when he wanted to stop praying for healing. Here are some of the stories he shared with me:


(I watched my dad see thousands of people's back healed 
when he commanded a leg to grow and become 
equal with the other leg).
        
At a church in Culver City, California, a pastor's wife was dying of advanced diabetes. She died a month after I prayed for her. Yet five years later, I learned, that in that same meeting, a little 18-month-old boy with severely bowed legs had had his legs gradually straighten out over the next three weeks. He had been scheduled for surgery, and they were going to break his legs and reset them to make them straight. That was no longer necessary. How frustrating it was for me to really want that pastor’s wife healed who died and five years later hear about the little boy!

There was one occasion where I prayed for two people on their death-beds on the same day. One of them was instantly healed, got up from his death-bed and continued on with life. The other died. Ouch!

Why couldn’t I have faith enough to see them both healed? Why didn't God always heal people when and how I wanted him too.

At a school in San Bernardo (Chile), nearly everyone I prayed for was healed. That was until the deaf janitor came up. I prayed for him for a long time and nothing happened. That was until everyone was gone and he came up and told me that he could suddenly hear perfectly.

In a service in Tomé (Chile), I prayed five successive nights for a 15-year-old with no hip socket who limped badly. As he limped away from the prayer line that last night of services, I felt like crawling down a hole! I had prayed my best and my hardest and nothing had happened.

I decided to hide my feelings of disappointment and continue praying for the sick, but without testing the rest to see if they were healed. A lady brought up her little 18-months-old boy for prayer. I asked her what his problem was, and she said that he had the same problem as that 15-year-old: no hip socket from birth. (My faith for this healing was now very low).

A few minutes later, the congregation started cheering. I learned that the little boy had gotten a new hip socket when I prayed for him and was walking down the aisle and with no limp at all! Many of his relatives came to faith because of this healing.

Still, I was disturbed. Why did God heal him and not the 15-year-old?
        
Finally I had enough! I told the Lord that I was through praying for the sick. I would preach the Gospel so that people would “get saved,” but I just couldn’t take all of the embarrassing failures when I prayed for them! I would even stop fasting and praying before the meetings!

The next meeting I preached, people came up to give to their lives to the Lord, and I sat down, smugly thinking I was done. But the pastor got up and announced to the congregation: “Brother Dean is now going to pray for the sick!”
        
Boy was I mad! I told the Lord, “No. You can’t do this to me! I can’t take being disappointed again by praying for severe cases and not seeing them healed.”

However, I didn’t want to embarrass the pastor, so I got up and started laying hands on the people one-by-one.
        
Amazing healings started taking place. A girl who could not lift up he right arm could lift it above her head. A girl with a blind eye could suddenly see perfectly. More healings took place and I had not even prayed and fasted before the service!

After the service, I repented. I told the Lord that no matter how embarrassed I got, I would keep on praying for the sick. I would obey his commandment to heal the sick no matter how weak my faith might be or disappointed I could feel. I have never regretted that decision!"

(Now I teach other's to pray for the sick as my father did.)

I am extremely grateful for the experiences and honesty my father shares regarding the good but also difficult moments of healing ministry. Here are some ideas to hold the next time you may face one of those difficult moments:

1) Jesus commands us to heal the sick (Matt. 10:8). Healing the sick through prayer is a normal part of following Jesus (Mark 16:17-18).
2) Not everyone you pray for will get healed, but no one will get healed if you do not pray.
3) Praying for healing is an act of love and care so make it your goal that no matter what may or may not happen, people know you care.
4) God heals and we don't. Our job is to pray for healing and leave the results in God's hands. Place the burden on his shoulders and not on your own. He can handle it.  Love God and love people and do not stop praying for healing because you never know what may or may not happen. DON'T STOP PRAYING FOR HEALING!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten more weeks...

T. L. Osborn - A Man Who Made God's Message His Own