Lessons I Have Learned Growing In Prophetic Ministry


"Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy." 1 Corinthians 14:1 (NIV)

            When I first began using the gift of prophecy, I wondered whether this was actually good to desire to prophesy. Maybe it was prideful or wrong of me to want to prophesy and to heal the sick? Maybe I would be misled and it would be dangerous? But then, when I re-read that Paul says to "eagerly desire spiritual gifts," I wrote in my journal in big letters, "I WANT TO PROPHESY! I WANT TO HEAL THE SICK! I WANT TO CAST OUT DEMONS! I WANT TO GET WORDS OF KNOWLEDGE! I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!
            That day I remember getting a word of knowledge for someone on Facebook about him having pain in his right foot. "How did you know that?!" was his response. I called him and after praying for him the pain was gone.
            After my first four years of living in Holland as a missionary, I began looking for mature prophets whom I could learn from. I found some and the Lord made a way for me to be mentored by a prophet in Chicago named Bruce Foster. I remember after eating at a Subway restaurant that I asked him how to grow in prophecy. His response was, "The same Holy Spirit I have, you do to. Just do it!"
            I believed him and the next month of traveling and preaching in churches in the USA, I started prophesying. Later that year, during another month of ministry in the USA, I started literally prophesying and praying for the sick everywhere I went (Wal-Mart, QT, Walgreens, IHOP, etc.). It was a lot of fun.
            But like anything that you start learning, I made my fair share of mistakes and learned valuable lessons from them (and continue learning).  One of them was to always remain humble and never prophesy when I am angry or offended.
            During a meal, there was a leader who offended me. I reacted in my flesh and did not respond in the right spirit. When I returned to the US later that year, the first thing I had to do was call him and apologize. Using power gifts NEVER gives us permission to be rude, arrogant, or obnoxious. Jesus was humble and gentle in spirit and so we must reflect the heart of Jesus in the way we behave (Matt. 11:29). 
(Prophetic Ministry is always to help, serve, and build up the church). 
            Whenever ministering somewhere, the first thing I communicate to the leaders is that I will submit to their leadership. I am there to help and serve. The gifts of the Spirit are to build up the church and not cause chaos or confusion (1 Cor. 14:4, 39-40). This means that I must continually be sensitive not just to what I feel the God is saying, but what is the appropriate fashion to communicate something so that people can understand it and be built up by it. How we deliver a message is just as important as the message that we deliver.
            On more than one occasion, I have had to apologize because something I said or did was misunderstood. This can be messy and even painful, but being transparent, teachable, and humble are crucial for growing in maturity. The heart of a minister is more important than what great signs and wonders they may do. Jesus himself says that there will be people who prophesy, heal the sick and cast out demons who will have never really known Him (Matt. 7:20-23). The goal of any true prophet is like John the Baptist to say that Jesus must become greater and I must become less (John 3:30). True prophetic ministry is not about getting a big ego, but about making Jesus great and loving people like God loves us.  
            So continue eagerly desiring to prophesy and grow in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, but remember that your character (who you really are) is even more important than what you do. Spend a lot of time with Jesus in prayer and fill your heart up with scripture because what is in your heart will come out when you prophesy. Hopefully, as we grow in prophecy and the gifts of the Spirit, people will be convinced that God is real and want to get to know his love and power for themselves (1 Corinthians 14:24-25).



 (Praying Prophetically with at Team at a Day of Prayer and Fasting in London). 

Comments

Good word. I've never considered myself a prophet, but recently I've been studying the gift of prophecy and I am encouraged to let it flow in my life more.
New Life West said…
Awesome!! Let it flow!!

Popular posts from this blog

Ten more weeks...

T. L. Osborn - A Man Who Made God's Message His Own